Opinion on Helping Fatigue

Dear J. B.,

Welcome-you're a well needed addition.

18 months ago I started seeing my current physician who I believed saved my life. I had many OI's, bad sinuses, and basically slept 16 hours a day. He told me I had an adrenal insufficiency and that low dose (10mg) daily prednisone would help. Well it did and within amonths time I was feeling "normal" again.

Do you have experience in this type of cortisol supplementation? Is it safe over time if you are just supplementing what your body does not produce? Will it mask symptoms of any OI's? Can lingering sinus infections also cause dramatic energy loss and fatigue?

Any comment you can make on these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and effort!!!!!

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Adrenal insufficiency can definitely be a source of fatigue in HIV disease. I'm glad that your physician was able to help you with this diagnosis. The usual treatment for this problem is physiologic replacement (replacement of just the amounts of the hormone that the body is not producing) with hydrocortisone, although your physician may have other reasons for using prednisone. The major concern regarding long term prednisone use is development of Cushing's syndrome. Be aware of any symptoms of fluid retention (puffy face) and notify your physician. Prednisone has an anti-inflammatory effect, so it might mask some symptoms of infection.

Sinus infections are uncomfortable and sometimes difficult to treat. Active infectious processes can definitely cause energy loss and fatigue. Thanks for the welcome. I hope you're doing well.

Adrenal
fatigue and anemia