Polysomnogram

Hello:

I was wondering if you found out any additional information about the polysomnogram & what role it can play in sleeping & anemia problems? Very recently diagnosed, my only symptom was/is fatigue. Additional sleep & an iron supplement (despite my iron test was WNL) helped, but I think there's still room for improvement. It's not due to meds; I haven't started them yet.

Thanks in advance for any info./assistance.

Peace.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

An iron supplement will help if a person has an iron deficiency. I have found no further information on the polysomnogram in relation to HIV disease or anemia. The technology is primarily used to diagnose sleep apnea, and is quite expensive. A neuropsychologist would be an excellent resource for more information on this technology. There is really no correlation between sleep and anemia. Lack of sleep may cause fatigue, and anemia results in fatigue, but there is no direct cause and effect between sleep and anemia. Is your viral load stable? Any other clinical info would be helpful to determine if you've explored all the other potential sources of your HIV related fatigue.

Fatigue, Depression and HIV Drugs
Anemia & Blood Transfusion