Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Polysomnogram
Oct 1, 1998

Hello:

I was wondering if you found out any additional information about the polysomnogram & what role it can play in sleeping & anemia problems? Very recently diagnosed, my only symptom was/is fatigue. Additional sleep & an iron supplement (despite my iron test was WNL) helped, but I think there's still room for improvement. It's not due to meds; I haven't started them yet.

Thanks in advance for any info./assistance.

Peace.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

An iron supplement will help if a person has an iron deficiency. I have found no further information on the polysomnogram in relation to HIV disease or anemia. The technology is primarily used to diagnose sleep apnea, and is quite expensive. A neuropsychologist would be an excellent resource for more information on this technology. There is really no correlation between sleep and anemia. Lack of sleep may cause fatigue, and anemia results in fatigue, but there is no direct cause and effect between sleep and anemia. Is your viral load stable? Any other clinical info would be helpful to determine if you've explored all the other potential sources of your HIV related fatigue.

Previous
Fatigue, Depression and HIV Drugs
Next
Anemia & Blood Transfusion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.