Tired-But Getting No Relief

I am very tired, fatigued. I am on a med regimen of Sustiva, Videx, and Viracept daily. I also drink at lease two cans of Ensure per day. I know that I am anemic ... it's how badly anemic that is my question. My hematocrit count is supposedly 32; WBC count is 1800. My physician doesn't think that I need to be treated for anemia, but is willing to give me a Testosterone level test. I'm beginning to have serious doubts about his ability to keep me alive. Can you shed some light or second opinion, please?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello I'm sorry to hear how badly you're feeling. I would re-discuss the possible anemia treatment with your physician. Although you don't need a blood transfusion at this point, you may benefit from treatment. It's worth a try! It's important to determine the source of anemia (i.e. is it treatment induced?) Your white blood count is quite low…has this been evaluated? A low white blood count can be a sign of infection or malignancy, or it can be a result of bone marrow suppression from medications or chronic disease. You should feel comfortable in being assertive with your heath care provider. Discuss these results with him/her again. How long have you been taking Sustiva? Many people have side effects related to the central nervous system (somnolence, feeling spaced out). I hope your symptoms improve.

Macrocytic Anemia
Anemic with high EPO level