AZT related fatigue - options fo help

I have been on AZT for about nine months. My CD-4 count is 990 and viral load non-detectable. My doctor says I have mild anemia due to a rbc of 2.86 mil/cu mm, hemoglobin of 12.0 gm/dl and hematocrit of 34.8% (My iron is normal at 97 ug/dl) I can still work but I start the day a little tired and end the day exhausted. I exercise three to four times each week and eat a balanced diet of breads, cereals, fruits, vegetables, and proteins but skimp on milk and milk products. I am tired of being tired. Can you suggest any non-pharmaceutical options and also shed some light on the importance of B vitamins (and in what dosages)? Thanks for your help.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello Great news about your CD4 and viral load counts! B vitamins are extremely important for integral health, and deficiencies can cause metabolic problems, growth problems, difficulty handling stress, and anemia, just to mention a few. If you are eating a balanced diet you are probably getting adequate minimum daily allowances of B vitamins, but most HIV nutritionists recommend a daily B complex supplement. Vitamin B-12 deficiency can cause anemia, but it's most likely in your case, that the AZT is causing the borderline anemia. If your anemia were AZT induced, a non-pharmaceutical option would be to switch to another drug from that class. The other option is pharmaceutical and very effective in treating AZT induced anemia, improving energy level and quality of life. Let me know if you'd like more information on this option.

Am I anemic? I wasn't before, can I be now?
Post chemotherapy anemia