AZT related fatigue

Thanks for your recent answer to my question regarding treatment of AZT related fatigue. Because I have had good results with AZT, I am reluctant to switch to another drug. I am already taking a B-complex vitamin (100 mg) but how many times a day should I take it? Also, what are the pharmaceutical options to which you referred? I would like to know so that I can discuss them with my doctor. Finally, are there other herbs or vitamins that may be helpful in fighting the fatigue?

Thanks again for all your help. At times, trying to understand all the options can be overwhelming.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello Yes, the treatment options can be overwhelming. Usually, just a daily B complex supplement is enough if you are feeling well and eating well. The treatment for AZT induced anemia I was referring to is called Procrit (erythropoietin alfa). This medication is helpful in improving hemoglobin levels, decreasing the need for blood transfusion, increasing energy level and quality of life in anemic HIV infected patients. It is a natural protein that your body manufactures in the kidneys and it stimulates production of red blood cells. Many people with HIV are deficient in erythropoietin. The medication is given by subcutaneous injection (similar to an insulin shot) and you can be taught to administer the medicine yourself. Procrit is most effective in those patients whose endogenous EPO level (a blood test), is less than 500. Good luck.

Always Anemic
What do I eat?