Am I anemic?

Dr. Molaghan, I have hepatitis B and HIV. Around the time that I was extremely sick with Hep. B, I noticed that my nails were very purple, as if my circulation was not working well. They returned to normal after two weeks, but now they are purple once again. I read somewhere that it could be low hemoglobin, or possibly anemia. What is your opinion? Thanks, TS

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello, A blue discoloration of the nails can indeed be a sign of anemia. This is caused by inadequate oxygen transport in the blood. The body tries to conserve oxygen for the vital organs such as the heart, brain, liver etc. As a result, the peripheral circulation of oxygen is depleted and the nails appear blue. Additional signs of anemia include shortness of breath, headache, dizziness, fatigue, rapid pulse and pounding in the ears, to mention a few. A simple complete blood count (CBC) will reveal the presence of anemia. Certain medications such as AZT can also cause discoloration of the nails, especially in people of African-American or Mediterranean descent.

Blood transfusion
Always Anemic