Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my friend
Oct 25, 1999

hi my name is william i have a question. my friend has a low white blood cell count. is this a symptom of amemia? thank you. can you send me something on an anemia anyways?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello William, Anemia is decrease in the red blood cell count. If your friend has a low white blood cell count, the term is leukopenia. A low white blood count can be caused by infections such as HIV, but there are many other sources of low white blood cell count. Viral infections and certain medications can cause a decreased white blood count. The body's ability to fight infection is threatened if certain types of white blood cells are destroyed or infected. Does your friend have HIV? Is his condition being evaluated or treated? Regarding anemia- I will be posting an article reviewing HIV related anemia here on the website very soon. Just finishing the final edits. Check back soon.

Previous
how to reduce side effects of iron pills
Next
Blood transfusion

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.