anemia as a complication in hvc treatment..

I am about to start 'combintation' therapy for Hepat- itis C..(Interferon and ribavirin). I am aware that I may develop anemia quickly as ribavirin suppresses hemoglobin in doses I will be given (up to 1200 mg. daily. I do not have hiv but am wondering if I should mention "Procrit' as a safeguard and supplement to my upcoming 'combo' regimen. It has not been mentioned to me although I am a bit fearful about the possible anemic side-effects. If so, may I obtain Dr's info about Procrit so I can give it to my Dr. before I start my 'combination' treatment? Please advise. Thanks so much!

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello It is true that Ribavirin causes anemia. Procrit is currently being studied as a treatment for anemia induced by Interferon/Ribavirin, however the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)has not yet approved it for this use. Try contacting Ortho Biotech Medical Services at (800) 325-7504. They may be able to let you know where to find more information about clinical trials of Procrit and Ribavirin. Good luck.

Medical Student
anemia