Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I would like to confirm this from doctor
Jun 17, 2001

Dear doctor,

Please answer this ASAP. I am in desperate because I heard this as below; A Korean doctor said he had seen the African AIDS positive case at 2 years in an AIDS magazine. So, he said the some cases of AIDS will not test positive at 6 months after an exposure. I am just single normal Korean woman. I am afraid if I will not be tested at 6 months. It made me be nervous.

Question : 1. What is the problem of immune system that the some cases of AIDS will not produce the AIDS antibodies at 6 months? Pls let me know the reason. 2. Will I be tested at 6 months?

It is difficult for me to ignore since I heard the some cases after 6 months. It is hard to take the yearly testing for the rest of my life if Ill not be tested at 6 months. I would like to confirm this from doctor.

Thanks & regards Christine

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Christine,

Your physician was referring to a very rare case where a person may not develop HIV antibodies for a significant period of time after HIV infection. This is an extremely rare occurrence and has to do with the way that a person's immune system recognizes and reacts to the virus. If you had a significant exposure in the past and your HIV antibody tests are negative at 6 months, it is extremely unlikely that you are infected. You could do other tests, such as a viral load test, to supplement the antibody testing. Talk to your doctor about your fears. You have written to ask me this question 3 times over the past few weeks. I hope my response will add to your comfort level and allow you to stop worrying about extraordinarily unlikely events.

Stay well,

RJF

Previous
Fatigue, fever,bacterial infection
Next
ITP - Hematology

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.