teenager, fatigue, testerone

My son is sixteen, infected when he was 2, cocktail drugs, Viracept, Zerit, and Hivid, have finally lowered vl to 4,000, cd4 hasn't moved out of single digits for nine years now. Our problem is fatigue and what it's doing to his spirit. He has been exercising and lifting weights for one year now, made a real change in his physique, he's not anemic but I've been reading about testerone levels maybe being the culprit. Is he too young to receive testerone injections. He has remained unbelievably healthy over these years, no illness in him when all of us get colds, etc. I can't watch this fatigue slowly drain his will. Any suggestions?

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello Many HIV infected adults develop hypogonadism (decreased testosterone production), so it is not inconceivable for a teenager with HIV disease to potentially be hypogonadal. It is important to check the serum testosterone level (both "free" and "total" testosterone) to determine this. It might also be wise to consult with an endocrinologist as well as with his primary care provider. Symptoms of hypogonadism in an adolescent include lack of development of secondary sexual characteristics such as body hair or delayed onset of puberty.

Anemia, Depression, Irritability
cbc