WBC COUNT I HAVE TO KNOW

WILL YOUR WBC EVER GO UP HIGH MINE 13.59 AND IT SENT UP A RED FLAG TO ME SAYING HEY THIS IS COULD VERY WELL BE HIV I HAVEN'T HAD THE TEST BUT PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT MY CBC WOULD DO IF I WERE HIV POSITIVE

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

When the white blood count is high, it is usually indicative of an acute infection. HIV disease does not usually "present itself" with a high white blood count. The CBC on an HIV infected person may be completely normal, but as the disease progresses, one may develop a lower than normal white blood count, because the virus affects the normal production of red and white blood cells. Some medications such as prednisone can increase the white blood count. There are also some other diseases that will increase white blood cell production. If your WBC count is persistently above normal, you should seek a referral to a hematologist.

HIV and thrombocytopenia
What is wrong?