Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Parvovirus B-19 and Anemia
Feb 14, 2000

I'm a 62 y/o male with lingering pre-anemia condition. Three years of annual CBC's showed an RBC around 4.33, HGB varying from 12.3 to 13.2, and hematocrit around 39.2.

On my last physical my principal physician sent me to a hematologist for further diagnosis. A bone marrow biopsy showed a reduced level of RBC precursors but was otherwise normal. No presence of parvovirus B-19 was uncovered.

In a more specific blood test, PV B-19 was detected with elevated levels of IgG and IgM. HIV was negative. Erthyopoieten level was normal. A chest CAT scan was negative.

I did complain of fatigue in the afternoons and a tendancy to nod off. No treatment option was offered. The next step is to do another CBC in two months and see if there are changes in the IgG and IgM levels and PV B-19 and any recovery in HGB and RBC.

From what I have read about PV B-19 that this affects most children and for a short duration. What advice can you offer.

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Human parvovirus B19 is presumed to be transmitted via respiratory secretions and via blood transfusion. Chronic parvovirus infection has been reported in people with compromised immune systems and in AIDS patients. The symptoms may include severe anemia. Treatment with Immune serum globulin usually helps. The introduction of pooled antibodies usually results in curing the infection and correcting the anemia. Your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels are maintaining well, and at this point the anemia is mild. Nodding off in the mid afternoon can also be related to glucose levels decreasing a few hours after lunch. Try eating a mid afternoon snack (complex carbohydrates). Good luck.

Previous
Body Pain
Next
Iron Anemia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.