ANEMIC -- Turnaround Time?

Two and a half months ago I started on the medications of Viramune and Combivir. Within 1 1/2 months my hemoglobin dropped from 12 to 9, two weeks later it dropped to 6.3. At which time I received a two pint blood transfusion and stopped the Combivir and replaced the AZT with D4T. Immediately after the blood transfusion my hemoglobin went to 8.1, now two weeks later the hemoglobin is 8.3 (not much of an increase) My questions are: 1.How long does it take for my bodies bone marrow to start functioning and producing red blood cells after I stop the AZT??? (Both my Dr. and I are sure it was the AZT that caused this.)

2.Should I consider taking Procrit to help my bodies process along?? Or is the Procrit a mute point since Procrit takes 4 to 8 weeks to produce results and my bone marrow may start functioning by then. Thanks!

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

AZT induced anemia can occur within a few weeks of beginning treatment. It may take several weeks for the bone marrow to bounce back. Procrit treatment would make sense at this point, since you and your doctor are able to attribute the anemia to the AZT. Most people respond with 4 weeks, and it definitely has been proven to reduce the need for blood transfusions. If your hemoglobin decreases again and your symptoms of fatigue recur, it may be necessary to receive another blood transfusion however. Be sure to review your other medicines to make sure you’re not taking medications that may contribute to the anemia (i.e. Septra). and revisit the Procrit discussion with your doctor. Hope things work out.

pregnant & anemic?
AZT related Anemia