Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pregnant & anemic?
Apr 10, 2000

Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I recently found out that I am pregnant. I am about 11 wks along now. I have 2 other sons and was slightly anemic while carrying both of them. I was given iron pills on top of what was in my prenatal vitamins with both of them. I have not had a blood test yet with this one. I go back to the doctor this Tuesday and will ask for the dr to check for anemia then. What I am worried about is that it is worse this time. The symptoms are SO much more apparent this time. I have gotten so dizzy and light-headed to the point of almost fainting. I get up in the mornings with such a shortness of breath that I feel like I am dying!! I am constantly tired, so tired that I don't want to get out of bed in the mornings, and the days....I drag through them, ALL day EVERYDAY. I guess I better get to the questions. Is it normal to become anemic during pregnancy and have I done something wrong to just become anemic during pregnancy? What are the side effects of anemia?? What I mean, is it something you can die from? Can it affect my unborn child? Thank you so much for your time and I am sorry to bog you down with all the questions but I can never think of them while I am at the drs office.

Thanks again,

Very Worried

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

You didn’t mention if you have HIV disease or are taking any medications. Although anemia can occur during pregnancy, it can usually be treated. The fact that you haven’t had a blood test yet and are experiencing such severe symptoms is worrisome. It might be wise to see your doctor and get a CBC and evaluation soon. Good luck.

Previous
Testosterone loss
Next
ANEMIC -- Turnaround Time?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.