Low Red blood cells count...

During a routine blood test -- during a yearly physical -- my husband was told he had anemia (low red blood cells count (60% -- he is missing 40%!!) -- the problem is that he feels fine -- never been sick in his life (he is 72)and does not want to continue investigating why this low RBC? They suggested doing a marrow biopsy... Please tell me what the consequences could be of not going further with testing... Thank you in advance ;-)

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello A 40% reduction in the red blood cell count(RBC)is significant. I can't comment too much without further medical information. Does your husband have HIV disease? Certain infections and malignancies can invade the bone marrow, and this is the sometimes the reason for a bone marrow biopsy.

Treatment for AZT-Induced Anemia
iron deficiency anemia -- what are the foods to eat?