Anemia & Amphotericin-B

I've always struggled with anemia, but when I started IV ampho, it became so bad I had to have 2 units of blood right away. The next day, I got the ampho again. Now, two infusions later, I'm symptomatic from the anemia again. I am worried that I will be on this cycle of getting ampho, then blood, over and over, with no real chance for improvement. In other words, will the ampho zap whatever I get from the blood each time? Is there any way out of the cycle?

Thanks for your advice,

Leigh

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hello

Amphotericin is a potent and effective therapy for fungal infections, however it usually causes multiple side effects including anemia. You mentioned that you've always struggled with anemia, even prior to treatment with Ampho; has your anemia been evaluated? The "pre-Ampho" source of anemia (i.e. iron deficiency, AZT induced, B-12 deficiency) may be aggravating the bone marrow suppression caused by the Amphotericin. Many people on Amphotericin require blood transfusion during the three to four weeks of treatment. During maintenance, however, most are able to discontinue the Ampho and take an oral medication (i.e., Diflucan)

That doesn't cause anemia, and is well tolerated. The bone marrow usually recovers after the Ampho is discontinued, and the anemia usually improves. Ampho is most commonly used to treat cryptococcal infection or histoplasmosis. I hope you feel better.

high level of blood fat
Treatment for AZT-Induced Anemia