Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fatigue gone
May 9, 2000

Dear Dr. Molaghan, I was fatigued pretty often before but I haven't had this feeling in many weeks now. It's gone just like that! I still have a mild anemia with this tingling sensation in my fingers when I hold something for longer that a couple of minutes but it doesn't bother me very much. I am not on medication (CD4-940, VL-3100). I used to wake up in the morning feeling totally fatigued several times a week and now it seems like I don't have it anymore. I did not know it can go away just like that for no reason. So, my question, I guess, would be: is it common? Is this the way fatigue usually behaves? Will it come back again? Many thanks, Anna.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Anna,

Well, I like to say, "Never argue with success." Congratulations on feeling better! Now for the not-so-good news. Will it come back again? No one knows. You mention that you are still mildly anemic. This should be monitored closely. The hemoglobin counts can drift down gradually in HIV disease, and we tend to compensate for the fatigue by just slowing down and not doing as much. Your CD4 counts are great, and your viral load is reasonable, but should be monitored closely. If it shoots up, your CD4 will most likely begin to decline. If your fatigue returns, check your hemoglobin. If the anemia worsens, treatment might once again renew your energy.

Good luck,

RJF

Previous
After 15 years, My counts are High, But my Body wants to shut down.
Next
acetyl-L-carnitine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.