Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Fatigue gone

Dear Dr. Molaghan, I was fatigued pretty often before but I haven't had this feeling in many weeks now. It's gone just like that! I still have a mild anemia with this tingling sensation in my fingers when I hold something for longer that a couple of minutes but it doesn't bother me very much. I am not on medication (CD4-940, VL-3100). I used to wake up in the morning feeling totally fatigued several times a week and now it seems like I don't have it anymore. I did not know it can go away just like that for no reason. So, my question, I guess, would be: is it common? Is this the way fatigue usually behaves? Will it come back again? Many thanks, Anna.

Hi Anna,

Well, I like to say, "Never argue with success." Congratulations on feeling better! Now for the not-so-good news. Will it come back again? No one knows. You mention that you are still mildly anemic. This should be monitored closely. The hemoglobin counts can drift down gradually in HIV disease, and we tend to compensate for the fatigue by just slowing down and not doing as much. Your CD4 counts are great, and your viral load is reasonable, but should be monitored closely. If it shoots up, your CD4 will most likely begin to decline. If your fatigue returns, check your hemoglobin. If the anemia worsens, treatment might once again renew your energy.

Good luck,

RJF

After 15 years, My counts are High, But my Body wants to shut down.
acetyl-L-carnitine