Anemic with a High Sed rate

I'm 50 and HIV positive. I was diagnosed two years ago, and have been lucky enough to have the viral load be undetectable for a year with my T cell count over 900. I have been suffering with fatigue and anemia for about a year, and I'm now at a 9.4. My sed rate is 130. What's going on?

I'm on Viracept, Zerit and Epivir. My doctor took me off of Viracept a month ago, but so far, no improvement. Why is my sed rate so high? I have no infections (other than HIV). I've taken Procrit for 3 months without improvement. Is there anything else to be done about the anemia? Any big studies being done anywhere? Thanks.

The sed rate is not specific for any particular illness. It's an indirect measure of inflammation. Your sed rate, however, is significantly elevated and therefore warrants further investigation. With a CD4 count of over 900 and a non-detectable viral load, it is unlikely that your anemia or elevated sed rate is due solely to your HIV disease.

Ask your doctor to check your erythropoietin level. If it's greater than 500, PROCRIT may not be very helpful. If, however, it's less than 500, your dose of PROCRIT may need to be increased for it to be effective.

Certainly other causes of anemia must also be considered, including nutritional deficiencies – iron, vitamin B12, and folate – autoimmune hemolytic anemia, hypersplenism, bone marrow infiltration with tumor, or opportunistic infection, etc. Clinical trial opportunities would depend on the cause of your anemia.

Good luck,

RJF

Persistent and Worsening Anemia Despite Undetectable Viral Load
After 15 years, My counts are High, But my Body wants to shut down.