Persistent and Worsening Anemia Despite Undetectable Viral Load

My viral load has been undetectable for more than a year now, and my T cell have been well over 500 for the same time. That's the good news. But I have been anemic since diagnosis, and it's worsening despite epoetin treatments. My count is 9.2 and sliding. Now my doctor has taken me off Viracept, thinking that maybe it is contributing to my anemia.

I fear I am at risk for increased viral load. What do you think. And where might I find information about clinical trials for HIV positive patients with chronic and worsening anemia. Thank you for your assistance.

If your erythropoeitin level before starting Procrit was less than 500, and other potential causes for your anemia have been ruled out, your Procrit dose may need to be increased to improve your low hemoglobin.

You mentioned that you were taken off Viracept. What other drugs are you taking? AZT or AZT-containing drugs such as combivir are the most noted for inducing anemia.

Additional evaluation for causes of anemia would be warranted. These would include nutritional deficiencies -- iron, Vitamin B12, folate deficiencies -- drug toxicity, infection, and occult blood loss.

Best of luck,

RJF

Different etiology for HIV-related fatigue
Anemic with a High Sed rate