The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am a very healthy person
May 11, 2000

I am a very healthy person, never missed a day of work in ten years on the job, I would not have even known that I was Positive if I hadn't gone to the ER three weeks ago complaining about pain in my chest. They did not find anything wrong there, but my blood work was abnormal and they told me to see my primary care physician, whom I'd never seen. My WBC,RBC, and Platelets were critical, and my hemoglobin was low.

I guess I really wanted to know if there is anything I can do between now and the 30th that can help with the bone marrow suppression.

Thank You


Response from Dr. Frascino

Chest pain can be a symptom of significant anemia. That your white blood cells and platelets were also low would indicate that in addition to your anemia, you have neutropenia (low white cell count) and thrombocytopenia (low platelets), which is indicative of bone marrow suppression. There are a variety of causes for bone marrow suppression including drug toxicities and certain infections. The next step is a thorough medical history, physical examination, and additional laboratory tests to determine the cause of the bone marrow suppression. Once the cause has been identified, the treatment options will become clear. You will also need to further evaluate your HIV disease with CD4 cell counts and viral load measurements. If no other cause for the bone marrow suppression is found, then therapy for your HIV infection may well improve your blood counts.

Best of luck.


Unexplained anemia
Sustiva: no peaceful/relaxing REM sleep

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint