Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

arthritis and fatigue

My question is, is it common for people living with HIV/AIDS to develop arthritis and if so what to take to deal with it? My next question is are there some herbs, vitamins, etc. that I can take for fatigue? My last blood work showed that my cd4 was 430 and my viral load was 389. Please, if you can advise me on what to do, and maybe being stressed out about the arthritis is making me fatigued too. thanks k.m.

Hi k.m.

HIV disease is associated, although infrequently, with several rheumatic conditions including some types of arthritis. Your first step is to determine if your symptoms are indeed caused by arthritis and if so what type (osteo-arthritis vs. rheumatoid arthritis). The treatments are essentially the same in people with and without HIV disease. Use of anti-inflammatory medications is often helpful.

Your second question regarding supplements for fatigue is also best addressed by determining the exact cause of the problem. If, for instance, you are anemic and have low blood levels of iron or certain vitamins then replacement therapy can be very effective. If, however, your symptoms were due to hormonal imbalances such as low thyroid or testosterone you would need to be treated with these agents to get improvement. PROCRIT is highly effective in stimulating the production of red blood cells if your hemoglobin is low. I would strongly suggest you evaluate the causes of your symptoms. Once these have been determined your treatment options will become more clear and effective. Best of luck.

RJF

Should
Sudden Sleepiness and Buckets of Coffee