HELP -- are my symptoms due to my anemia?

Dear Doctor,

My hemoglobin has been declining. Usually it's in the range of 9 to 10 however lately it's fallen as low as 8.2. I've been very tired and can no longer exercise. My T cell count is almost non-existent. It was 7 when we last checked! My viral load has been running around 10,000 but recently has increased to 600,000. My current meds include Amprenavir, zerit, and epivir. In addition I take mepron for PCP prophylaxis. I was allergic to Bactrim. In addition to fatigue I've had rapid heart rates, shortness of breath, headaches, progressive weight loss, and shaking chills and intermittent fevers. Last week my doctor sent me to have my eyes checked. That exam was normal. No CMV. He told me that my symptoms must be due to my anemia. Should I get a transfusion? Please help and answer as soon as you can. You helped figure out my lover's problem several years ago when everyone else had given up on him. Hope you can help me now!Scared and tired

Dear Scared and Tired,

The primary problem of low hemoglobin (anemia) is reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood. Fatigue is the most common symptom of anemia and can be felt as both physical weakness and mental lethargy. With mildly reduced hemoglobin symptoms are most evident after exertion or exercise. As the hemoglobin level continues to fall symptoms become more prominent and can be present even at rest. Symptoms that may occur with hemoglobin in the range of 8g/dl include rapid heart rate, palpitations, dizziness, headache, inability to tolerate cold, bowel irregularity, decreased appetite, and loss of libido. Women may also develop abnormal menstruation. As you can see from this partial list of potential symptoms some of your complaints may well be related to your worsening anemia. Treatment should be dependent on identifying the cause of your declining red blood cell count! There are many potential causes for anemia in the setting of HIV disease including HIV itself. Transfusions can be problematic for people with HIV infection because transfusions have been shown to cause further immune suppression and increases in viral loads. PROCRIT is preferable as it stimulates the production of new red blood cells and does not cause immune suppression or increases in viral load. One note of concern, anemia is not associated with fevers or shaking chills. You mentioned your were on PCP prophylaxis; are you also on MAC prophylaxis? MAC infection is often associated with shaking chills, fever, weight loss and anemia. I would strongly suggest you be evaluated for MAC infection. Other opportunistic infections and malignancies should also be considered in light of your very low T cell count and recent symptoms. See your physician very soon for a thorough evaluation. Let us know how this turns out and if we can be of further assistance. Don't delay in getting evaluated!

RJF

iron deficiency anemia and fatigue
Injections or transfusion??