will a blood transfusion last longer than procrit?

Hey Dr. Bob,

Here's a question for you. My doc says a blood transfusion would be better for me because it would last longer. Longer than what? Does the effect of transfusion and other treatments wear off? Any permanent treatments. Once I start treatment do I have to take it forever?

Thanks for answering our questions so promptly.

The Guys

Hey Guys,

Excellent question. I must disagree with your physician. There was a research paper written by Dr. Moore in the Journal of AIDS and Human Retrovirology in 1998 that addressed that very point. Although I'm sure this journal is on the top of your monthly periodicals somewhere between Better Homes and Gardens and GQ, just in case you didn't happen to see this particular article, I'll summarize the salient points. When blood transfusions were given, the average improvement in hemoglobin was 1g/dL and was maintained for and average of 4 weeks. However in this study when PROCRIT was used as the treatment for anemia the average improvement in hemoglobin was 1.5 g/dL. Perhaps more importantly the improvement was maintained for an average of 6 months! Transfusions should be reserved for emergency treatment of severe anemia.

As for your second question —- no, once you start therapy you do not need to continue it forever. Your response to the treatment should be closely monitored. Procrit should be used to maintain your hemoglobin values in the normal range. Often this may be accomplished with intermittent therapy.

Until next time guys, stay well

Oh baby I'm tired
When to treat anemia