Carnitine and neuropathy

Hi Doc...Thanks for your great help for us all...I am 50years old HIV+ since 1985 and been thru most combos the latest is ABT378,Rescriptor,Abacavir and Videx V.L. 20000 and T4 400 felt ok except neuropathy. mY doc gave L-carnitine but I wanted to know is there a difference about l-carnitine and Acetyl l-carnitine...and hat's the difference? Should I rather have Acetyl l-carnitine for my neuropathy than only L-carnitine. My Doc has not heard of Acetyl l-carnitine. Please help me I am so confused in this matter. Thanks in advance

Erick

Response from Mr. Molaghan

Hi Erick,

The question of carnitine supplementation for the treatment of neuropathy is a good one! We are beginning to discover the underlying mechanisms for various side effects -- such as the possibility the some types of HIV neuropathy may be linked to mitochondrial toxicity. Carnitine in it's various forms is being investigated as a potential therapy. Whether "L" or "acetyl" carnitine is more appropriate is still being investigated. I'll turn this question over to our TREATMENT FORUM [please resubmit your question there] for additional comment. Hopefully someday neuropathy, as a side effect, will understood as well as anemia and like anemia safe effect treatments will be available.

Have you personally ever been anemic?
name of blood test