Have you personally ever been anemic?

Doctor Bob,

From reading your bio. and hearing you speak I know you are HIV positive. Have you ever been anemic?

P

Hey P,

Good question. Actually yes I was anemic, although this was before I was HIV positive. I was a "starving student" at the time. A blood mobile came to our campus and offered 20 bucks for a unit of blood. I snuck in several more times than I should within a very short period of time. I remember feeling quite wiped out and not knowing why. I had no exercise tolerance, had difficulty dragging myself to classes, and was not thinking clearly. Fatigued indeed!!! I didn't realize the cause until I tried to sneak in and donate another $20 unit. During screening they told me I was too anemic to give blood and that I should see the student health service because instead of giving blood I may need to get some!!! I'm not sure how low my hemoglobin was but I recovered without treatment. I'll never forget the feeling of being anemic!

enlarged red blood cells
Carnitine and neuropathy