Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Snorting cocaine and Hep c risk
Oct 9, 2011

The other night I did something really stupid and had a line of cocaine at a house party, but used my own straw. The only thing is that I am starting to think that maybe the bread knife I used to cut the straw might have had blood on it (not that I noticed anything). For instance, say if, hypothetically, somebody cut himself or herself beforehand and then (even after washing the knife with standard washing up liquid) the knife still managed to scrape tiny or microscopic traces of blood onto the straw. I know, it sounds irrational but how does one rationalize this? I feel completely paralyzed (stuck between the rational and irrational). I mean, am I over thinking this? Have I really put myself at risk for Hepatitis C? I would really appreciate a second opinion. God bless. I have read that Hepatitis C can only be infectious (outside the body) between 16 hours and 4 days.

I am not concerned about HIV or Hepatitis A and B because 1) I can account that the knife was not used 4 to 5 hours before, allowing enough time for any HIV virus to die 2) I have been vaccinated against hepatitis A and B.

Response from Dr. Fawcett

Thanks for writing. I think you are in the grip of anxiety over having used cocaine. As I understand it, you didn't notice anything on the knife but are imagining what your risk might be if there were dried blood on it. Hepatitis C is not spread by sharing utensils or other household items - it is transmitted by direct through-the-skin exposure to blood. You are correct that the virus can live outside the body but that is significantly reduced if the blood is dry.

Were there an actual exposure you could expect symptoms to develop within six to seven weeks. At that point your physician would do a liver function panel followed, depending on the results, by other tests for antibodies and then the virus itself. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy worrying about Hep C but I would look in to harm reduction methods if you're going to use recreational drugs. You can find good information at the Harm Reduction Coalition.

Take care,

David

Previous
Fatigue Versus Sleepiness

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.