Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tired of low sex drive and sensation
Sep 9, 2011

Hmm I hope this can be fitted under your category. Very healthy long term survivor, all numbers great, great diet, plenty of sleep, emotional state fine...not on any new meds or anything... Yet sex drive and sensation continue to plummet. Doc says my testosterone level is right in the mid range, and she does not want me to start taking it yet. I am in my mid 40's and feel like my drive and sensation is like someone in their 60's. I hear about natural supplements like Tribulus terrestris and others to help boost it, but just doubt stuff like that will make a real difference. Or is this just a natural part of aging? Even so I need to do something...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

Decreased libido and/or sexual functioning can result from a variety of causes, including psychological causes (depression, stress, etc.), hormonal causes (low testosterone), physical causes (anatomic or neurological issues), etc. The first thing to check would be your "free testosterone" level. Even though your total testosterone may be in the normal range, if your "free testosterone" is low for age-matched controls, testosterone-replacement therapy would be warranted. If your doctor has nothing else to offer, I'd recommend you consult a urologist for a second opinion on how to make Mr. Happy happy once again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Nothing works to alleviate my fatigue
Next
L Carnitine and Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.