Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nothing works to alleviate my fatigue
Sep 9, 2011

Hi, Dr. F, I was diagnosed in 1991, began HAART in 97, no OI's. Dx'd with sleep apnea, on CPAP machine 3 years, had throat surgery 2008 removing tonsils, uvula, other stuff in there (horrrrrrible recovery), still sleepy, fatigued, developing restless leg syndrome that awakens me. Have been on an anti-depressant for 3 years, on testosterone patch for low hormone levels. Getting a B12 shot monthly for low levels. I recently went to a seminar on HIV by a well-known professional in the HIV field who said that the B12 tests are unreliable (backed up by a study at Yale as well as others) and that symptoms are the only way to see B12 deficiency. This professional has been dealing with HIV'ers since the beginning and I trust the information they provide which is ultra high doses of B12 until symptoms improve. My doctor is resistant to the idea even though B12 is not toxic. I'd like to do subcutaneous injections but my be resolved to try the subligual. I've read through your exhaustive articles on fatigue in HIV as well as elsewhere in the internet and talked to many doctors. I'm at my wits ends. Could B12 therapy be worth a try?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

I've seen no convincing evidence that B-12 tests are unreliable or that "ultra high doses of B12" are effective in treating HIV-associated fatigue in a person with normal serum B-12 levels. HIV-associated fatigue is often multifactorial, and you certainly have many potential causes that could be contributing to your ongoing problem:

1. Sleep apnea. Has this completely resolved post-surgery?

2. Restless legs syndrome. There are mediations available for this condition.

3. Anti-depressants. Depression is often associated with fatigue. Also, some anti-depressant medications can cause fatigue. Either or both of these factors could be contributing to your problem.

4. Testosterone patch. Patches sometimes produce erratic levels of testosterone. Have you measured your "free testosterone" (not total testosterone) to see if it's back in the normal range? Topical gel may be more effective.

This, of course, is only a short list, based on the limited informant in your post. Chances are that if a more thorough evaluation was conducted, there may be other factors also potentially contributing to your fatigue. I'd recommend you focus on identifying all potential causes and then maximize treatment of each. That is your best option for recharging your energy batteries.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
White little spots on my skin
Next
Tired of low sex drive and sensation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.