For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

positive moms mixed feeding babies

I would like to know the latest news of mixed feeding, that is breastfeeding and formulas for HIV mothers? Is it safe to mixfeed your baby?

The World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines advise HIV-positive mothers can safely breastfeed their babies for up to 12 months, provided both mother and baby receive antiretroviral therapy for up to one year. Immunologically speaking, six to twelve months of breastfeeding is sufficient to provide the infant with the passive immunity he or she needs.

risk of infection. A particular case
A few questions to put my mind at ease