The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaccinations to boost viral suppression
Aug 20, 2011


I have been HIV+ for less than 18 mos and started treatment after approx 12 mos. My doctor wants me to participate in a vaccine study that includes a STI. My last VL before starting therapy was around 2500 and my CD4 count was around 400. MY VL is now below 50 and my CD4 about 500. Is it safe for me to participate in a study which includes a STI of 12 weeks? (I am on Atripla and am concerned about drug resistance and after reading your responses to STI's heart, liver, and kidney disease)

Response from Dr. Frascino


It's fine for your physician to discuss currently enrolling clinical trials, but he should not be actively encouraging you to participate, particularly if there is significant risk involved. An STI for 12 weeks may well result in an increase in your HIV plasma viral load and drop in your CD4 count. This may be offset if the "vaccination" or treatment being evaluated in the clinical trial is effective. However, there is certainly no guarantee any experimental treatment will work or help. I would suggest you get more information about the potential risks and benefits before making a decision whether or not to participate. If you are at all leery about any aspect of the clinical trial or just don't feel like taking any degree of risk at the moment, you should decline to participate. Don't feel pressured to participate, okay?

Dr. Bob

Missing a DOSE

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint