best ARV combination

Hi Dr Frascino,

I am planning to get pregnant and my doctor put me on Combivir and Kaletra. So far so good, no side effects. However, I have been reading that the preffered listed combination in my case would be Combivir + Viramune. Can you please compare the two (Viramune vs Kaletra). What would you recommend? Is Viramune better/more studied that Kaletra, and with less risk of harming the baby? Thank you.

Hello.

The current DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) preferred antiretroviral regimen for pregnant women is Kaletra plus Combivir. Viramune plus Combivir is listed as an alternative regimen. (Viramune should not be initiated in women with CD4 cell counts greater than 250.) Talk to your HIV specialist and an HIV-knowledgable obstetrician regarding your optimal treatment options. There are specific medical reasons to choose one regimen over the other.

HIV POSITIVE
Treatment or no treatment?