Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i am risky to get hiv for the splash of fluids in my eyes??
Aug 6, 2011

Hi im a nurse and im scared coz i exposed in patient who is hiv+, and during caring at this patient i noticed something splash in my skin near at my eyes, i wiped but didnt noticed if its blood or just simply iv fluids as at that time im trying to fixing the iv fluids of my patient, is it possible that the hiv virus that mixed with the ivfluids is still active, im really scared,please help me and im risk to have the hiv too? your aswer will really help me a lot..thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

Fluid (or even HIV-tainted blood) would not be a risk if it landed "near" your eye. If fresh HIV-tainted blood gets directly into the eyes, there is a small risk for acquiring HIV. As with all occupational exposures or potential occupational exposures, you should report this incident to your occupational health department. All occupational exposure incidents should be documented, evaluated and, if needed, treated. From the information provided, it does not appear that you had a significant occupational exposure. PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) would not be warranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
while i'm making medical test for resident visa in KSA ,my HIV results is positive
Next
Paresthesia in the face, hands and legs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.