CD4 count or CD4%

Hi Doc, My CD4 during the last year have been around 700-896 cels/m and my highest VL has been 2500 Copies/ml, and my Last VL was undetectable, Im not stil into ATRVs. But my CD4% are 14,9%. Do you think I should start my meds if my CD4% get close or below 14% despite the "good number" of my CD4 count??

thanks in advance Marcos - From Venezuela

Hello, Marcos from Venezuela.

The ultimate decision on when to begin antiretroviral treatment is up to you. As an HIV specialist and clinical immunologist, I can advise that it makes good sense immunologically to begin treatment as soon as you know for sure you're infected. Early intervention preserves immune function and prevents damaging immune activation/inflammation. These beneficial effects must be weighed against the risk of short- and long-term medication side effects/toxicities, the inconvenience of having to take ART daily, and cost considerations. You can read much more about when to begin treatment in the archives of this forum and elsewhere on this site.

Responding to your specific question, your risk of opportunistic infections and malignancies increases as the CD4 count and/or CD4% decline. A CD4% of 14% indicates a diagnosis of AIDS as opposed to just HIV positive. See link below.

CD4 Number Vs. Percent Aug 10, 2007

Thank you for the DVD....will make another donation
Viral Load undetectable, CD4 keep falling?