Aids

My brother has full blown Aids. For 2yrs, also he is a diabetic. He was a drug addict for 20yrs. Shooting up for 10yrs. He has had severe diaherra for 2 months. The doctors said he keeps gettings abcess in his rear end. His mind is not really there anymore. He needs to be in the hospital. He goes in for 1 day then cusses the doctors and nurses out to no end. My question to you is. Is he in last stages? Also how can we get him to stay in the hospital and stop him from driving? We are so afraid, he will kill someone driving.

Hello.

Sorry to hear your brother is having such a difficult time. If indeed "his mind is not really there anymore" and you are concerned he may be a danger to himself or others while driving, call his HIV doctor. A physician can take his license away by stating he is not medically fit to drive. The Department of Motor Vehicles is then notified.

As for your brother's prognosis, I have insufficient information to comment. Perhaps you could go with him to a doctor's visit and discuss this with his HIV specialist (if your brother agrees to let you attend the visit).

Finally, I should mention we no longer use the term "full blown AIDS," because there is no such thing as "partially blown AIDS."

How does HIV affect TB? (TB/HIV CO-INFECTION, 2011) (TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV, 2011)
psoriasis and hiv