Blip and cd4 decline

Hi Dr. Bob, I've been on treatment (Atripla) for the past two years and my VL is undetectable. I got the results of my bloodwork today. VL 55, cd4: 507, 27%. 3 months ago VL was <20, CD4:570, 29%. And 3 months before that VL was <20, CD4:590, 28%. My doctor said this is just a blip and not to worry. But I'm more worried about the sharp decline in my CD4 count. Would CD4 count fluctuate this much? Usually mine stays in the 570-590 range. Should I be alarmed by this decrease and the blip?

Hi.

I agree with your doctor. Absolute CD4 cell counts can fluctuate for a wide variety of reasons. Your CD4% has been quite stable (29%, 27%, 28%) despite the fall in your absolute CD4 count and your HIV plasma viral load has been undetectable, except for a single very low value of 55. See links below for additional information on blips as well as absolute CD4 count versus CD4%.

CD4 fell from 525 to 265 in 8 months (CD4 count versus CD4%, 2011) Jul 7, 2011

2 blips in sucession (BLIPS, 2011) Jul 5, 2011

Molluscum
WE ARE BOTH POZ. CAN WE DUMP THE DAMN CONDOMS????????