Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV NEGATIVE STIGMA
Jun 16, 2011

I am not sure this is most appropriate forum for my question,nevertheless your perspective is important to me. How do people come to stigmatise someone who is NOT HIV positive as such and how does one handle such a scenario,especially if it's having detrimental impact on one's career.Over the years,I've had to deal with this while working or studying in various places. I will give one illustration.Some years back,I was on hospital placement,straightaway most staff were avoiding me and the few who weren't at first eventually did by the end of my placement.On the few occassions when people didn't have a choice but to work with me, they would be talking about scenarios involving HIV,probably to make me uncomfortable.By the end of my placement,I had not a single friend.This was just for two weeks.You won't believe the level of stigma among healthcare practitioners,who are suppose to know better. My assumption is that people think they can see tell-tale signs of HIV/AIDS in me.This stigma has forced me to take all sorts of HIV tests,even PCR assay,the results have been consistently negative. I've been strong in dealing with this on the social level,but the handicap to my career progression is a different ball game. What do you think,Doctor?Finally got it off my chest,hopefully this will mark a turning point in this long running saga of a life.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello.

You assume people "see tell-tale signs of HIV/AIDS" in you??? And this "stigma has forced (you) to take all sorts of HIV tests, even PCR assay...."????? WOWZA! You state at the outset of your question that this might not be the most appropriate forum for your question. I agree this is not the correct forum for a question like yours. It really belongs in some sort of psychiatry forum, because, dude, you are major league wacko. Yes, completely looney tunes. What you term "HIV negative stigma" is really some sort of paranoid delusion. You report having these feelings for a number of years in various settings -- working, studying, etc. Consequently this is not a new problem for you. I would urge you to stop HIV testing and instead see a licensed mental health professional to delve into what's causing your paranoia.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Milk Thistle
Next
IM HIV- NEVER TOOK ANY TREATMENT BUT STILL UNDETECTED AND MY CD4 COUNT KEEPS GETTING LOWER

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.