Time taken for undetectable vl to bounce if suspend meds

Hi, apologies if already answered previously but I have a general question relating to the effect that suspending the taking of HIV meds would have on my viral load. It took HIV 13 years to decrease my cd4 from >800 to < 250 so my logic tells me I should have a similar time frame to rely on before I hit the danger zone and need to start taking meds again.

When put to my doctor I have been answered with a flat 'no' and that HIV would quickly return to previous levels.

Can you tell me the reasons why, and how long I could expect to remain safe after suspending meds?

Many thanks for your answer. Paul

Hi, Paul.

HIV disease progression can be quite unpredictable. It would be extremely unwise to assume the rate of CD4 decline now, if you discontinue your medications, would be the same (or even similar) to what occurred years ago. The reasons are many and somewhat complex. Suffice it to say you and your immune system are now older and your HIV is "wiser."

Strategic treatment interruptions are not recommended. See link below. I strongly urge you not to suspend or interrupt your antiretroviral therapy. The consequences could be catastrophic.

STI's... (STRUCTURED TREATMENT INTERRUPTIONS, STRATEGIC TREATMENT INTERRUPTIONS, STRUCTURED INTERMITTENT THERAPY, 2011)Jun 5, 2011

Super Symptomatic Oral Sex
can i move on?