Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Magic Water might improve Lipodystrophy
Jun 1, 2011

Hello Dr. Frascino, Proalgazyme, the same hocus-pocus "magic water" that anecdotally improved the blood work of several HIV patients, has proven to improve lipids, BMI, blood pressure, insulin, the list goes on and on in a study linked below. Isn't it practical to assume that a product that improves so many functions of the body would have an overall benefit for people with HIV? See the study for yourself:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2034560/

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi.

The study you reference is 2007 and was not performed in HIV-positive patients. While the study did suggest some improvement in patents with Syndrome X, I have not seen any follow-up reports in either HIVers or neggies. I always wonder why an initial positive study isn't followed up immediately by a slew of follow-up studies to provide validation or further quantify and clarify any beneficial results. I'm never one to argue with success, even if we can't yet explain it mechanistically. However, positive findings should be validated and undergo rigorous peer scrutiny. So far I can find no information in the HIV/AIDS literature to support claims that this product may be helpful. I'll certainly keep an open mind, but if nothing much has happened with this product in the past four or five years, it's doubtful it's going to be a blockbuster pharmaceutical going forward. I'll keep it on my radar screen and let you know if anything more evolves. Until then it's still just "magic water" to me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Needing that final wahoo will donate
Next
re: seronegative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.