Second posting, please please do respond - undetectable VL, non-M subtype virus strain?

Dear Dr.Bob,

First of all, my deepest and sincerest gratitude to you for responding to my question earlier on Mar 28, 2011.

Further to your expert comments/ response, I had a detailed chat with my HIV specialist and he appreciated your response but further suggested that it may be another sub-type of HIV-1 virus rather than 'M sub-type' (as he is not convinced that the viral load can be undetectable 10 weeks from date of infection especially considering that the probability of someone being an elite controller from a developing country like India is highly highly unlikely as per him in his experience of treating over 1500-2000 HIV patients over last 6 -7 yrs). The RNA PCR Viral load test I have undertaken reads 'this test determines all known subtypes of HIV-1 subtype M virus'. My HIV specialist believes it can be sub-type N, O or P and unless we undertake special research tests in scientific lab, we cannot reply on the lab reports which suggest 'undetectable viral load'.

1. Do you think this suggestion is good to rule out any eventualities before taking a decision on periodic monitoring and treatment?

2. Do you think sub-type N, O or P is likely in my case as I read that these strains are very rare (< 1% of the HIV 1 & 2 infections). My exposure was to someone from Canada and I believe that person had been stable with only one partner from Canada over last 2-3 yrs.

Please help. God bless. (I think I can relax and WHOO-HOO a bit if I am eventually an elite controller - although this seems highly improbable - but it will give me a whole new perspective of life and people). Also, sometimes I feel it would have been better that my viral load showed some virus >48 copies so that I could have avoided the added agony of guessing whether it is HIV 2 (with an additional tridot test) or other sub-type of HIV 1 like N, O or P (now we have a task on our had to find a scientific research lab which actually does this test in my city from India!!).

Many thanks again. Appreciate and thank your time and efforts.

In distress after multiple HIV tests, Sincereguy

Dear Sir, This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Any common diseases that mimic HIV?
Ways to Safely Reduce Male Sex Drive?