|Second posting, please please do respond - undetectable VL, non-M subtype virus strain?
Apr 23, 2011
First of all, my deepest and sincerest gratitude to you for responding to my question earlier on Mar 28, 2011.
Further to your expert comments/ response, I had a detailed chat with my HIV specialist and he appreciated your response but further suggested that it may be another sub-type of HIV-1 virus rather than 'M sub-type' (as he is not convinced that the viral load can be undetectable 10 weeks from date of infection especially considering that the probability of someone being an elite controller from a developing country like India is highly highly unlikely as per him in his experience of treating over 1500-2000 HIV patients over last 6 -7 yrs). The RNA PCR Viral load test I have undertaken reads 'this test determines all known subtypes of HIV-1 subtype M virus'. My HIV specialist believes it can be sub-type N, O or P and unless we undertake special research tests in scientific lab, we cannot reply on the lab reports which suggest 'undetectable viral load'.
1. Do you think this suggestion is good to rule out any eventualities before taking a decision on periodic monitoring and treatment?
2. Do you think sub-type N, O or P is likely in my case as I read that these strains are very rare (< 1% of the HIV 1 & 2 infections). My exposure was to someone from Canada and I believe that person had been stable with only one partner from Canada over last 2-3 yrs.
Please help. God bless. (I think I can relax and WHOO-HOO a bit if I am eventually an elite controller - although this seems highly improbable - but it will give me a whole new perspective of life and people). Also, sometimes I feel it would have been better that my viral load showed some virus >48 copies so that I could have avoided the added agony of guessing whether it is HIV 2 (with an additional tridot test) or other sub-type of HIV 1 like N, O or P (now we have a task on our had to find a scientific research lab which actually does this test in my city from India!!).
Many thanks again. Appreciate and thank your time and efforts.
In distress after multiple HIV tests, Sincereguy
Response from Dr. Frascino
Dear Sir, This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.
Any common diseases that mimic HIV?
Ways to Safely Reduce Male Sex Drive?
- Chances Of Getting AIDS From Unprotected Vaginal Sex
- HIV Infection Risk Rimming
- HIV Risk Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation
- Vaginal Sex Without Condom And HIV Transmission Risk
- Burning Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Rubbing Penis Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.