Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP and Anemia
Apr 18, 2011

Hi

I was attacked and raped by a stranger in 2003. I was given PEP, if remember correctly it was combivir and crixivan, took these for 28 days, cannot remeber if there was anything else.

I had a blood count done which revealed megaloblastic anemia and prescribed a lot of vitamine b injections.

A bit about me: I enjoy a glass of wine. I am now 31 years old. My hair is also showing signs of grey. I have been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old, sometimes going vegan as well.

My question is:

Is the anemia related to the AZT of the drug regime I was on? Could it be alcohol related? Genetically I cannot point to anyone in my family with anemia.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Kind regards

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

AZT is well known for causing megaloblastic anemia. Did the problem resolve when you discontinued the AZT? If so, that would lend additional credence to AZT being the culprit, which I feel is the most likely explanation.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just read the Neuropathy question (3-28)
Next
Atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.