How early can you go from infection to clinical AIDS?

Dr. Bob, Since I went years without being with anyone I'm having a difficult time determining when I was infected. I did some sexual activity about a year before being determined with AIDS and related complications; 105 t cell count and 365,000 VL. Could I reach that status in only a year's time?

signed, Curious

Hello Curious,

It's possible but unlikely. HIV/AIDS is generally a very slowly progressive illness. Here is a Q&A from the archives that discusses the natural history of untreated HIV disease. That said, I should also point out that there is considerable variability from person to person based on many factors -- viral strain, immune integrity, types of "related complications," concurrent infections, etc. The important this is not what's happened in the past (you can't do anything about that), but rather what's happening now and what will happen tomorrow.

Work closely with an HIV specialist physician, stay positive about being positive, and focus on today and the promise of tomorrow. It's the best way to live well with HIV no matter what happened with in the past.

Good luck. Be well.

K103N Mutation
too many symptoms but still hopeful