can a specialist be wrong ?

Dr F, I tested + nearly 12 years ago, since then annual lymphocite results have consistently shown the abs cd4 around 650 ( morning tests always ) and cd4 percentage never below 40 %. More importantly to this question, my cd4 / cd8 ratio has always been "normal" usually around 1.6 - again, consistently every year since the get-go inclusing the first year. I have never taken any hiv meds, and also never experienced any symptoms. My NEW doctor - the old one retired - suddenly drops this bomb (and mind you, he IS an HIV specialist, here in the Bay Area ) : " Every single HIV + preson on this planet has an inverted cd4/cd8 ratio from the beginning to the end, without the help of meds.. sure you can be a long term progressor, you can be an elite controller, and that exlains a normal cd4 and cd4 %, but, but I can assure you , no way, no how ( ok, using your saying here for effect .) are you hiv +, with a consistent normal cd4/cd8 ratio. It simply is unheard of . WTF ??!! Do I get tested again now after more than a decade ?

I would agree there is a strong likelihood that you are not HIV infected and that your initial test 12 years ago was a false positive. I and many other HIV specialists have seen a number of cases very similar to yours. Chances are your retired doc was not an HIV specialist, right? Yeah, I thought so. Perhaps your old doc should have retired some time ago?!?

I would suggest you repeat your HIV test without delay. Write back with your results and I'll post your follow-up for our readers. We are all keeping our fingers, toes, (eyes?) crossed for you!

Can i get Hiv through this encounter? re submitted from anemia and fatigue forum
Struggling with Anxiety (3rd request) please help