|Knowledge seeking this time. Much appreciated.
Mar 5, 2011
Hi Dr. Bob, I am writing back after a while. As per our talks last time around, I have tried to reduce my anxiety over HIV. Que sera sera. Anyways, I'd like to ask you a few things about HIV testing etc. Some are of course with the hope of finding a test sooner and some are for just better awareness. I would really appreciate your response
1. Are there any tests that have a fairly good accuracy rate before the 3 month ELISA test. If yes, which?
2. How good are RNA-PCR testing? I have heard there are greater chances of false positives. But since it is not false negatives, would a negative RNA-PCR test at say 6-8 weeks be conclusive, considering it tracks viral activity and not the antibodies?
3. What is the window period till when a PEP can be administered?
4. Are there any emergency pills for HIV (analogous to the emergency pill for pregnancy that girls take) that can be taken once after like say 24 hours of a sexual episode that reduces the risk substantially? - Not a full blown PEP course, which I understand is for a month or so
5. I have been waiting for your editorial on when we can expect a breakthrough in HIV/AIDS medication. I have read you mentioning that you will address the issue in a blog entry, some day soon. Can you provide the link?
P.S. - It is 8 weeks now. Hope to share good news 4 weeks hence.
Have a great NZ trip!
Response from Dr. Frascino
This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.
Should I be worried about HIV 2?
feedback (DR. BOB'S "CRAZED GRIN"???????)
- What Causes Recurring Yeast Infections And Bacteria Vaginosis?
- What Can Can Cause A False Positive Syphilis Test?
- What Are Shingles And What Do They Look Like?
- Time Frame After Contracting Herpes Before It Shows Up On An Std Test
- Symptoms Of Herpes In The Vagina
- Symptoms Of Chlamydia In The Throat
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.