Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I be worried about HIV 2?
Mar 5, 2011

Dear Doctor,

I had protected sex with a sex worker (got carried away - which I regret now). After the act, the condom didn't appear broken, although I didn't check thoroughly.

In the fourth week I had a bad sore throat and fever (lasted @3 days), which on one day touched 101.6F and remained about 99-100F on the other two days. The sore throat lasted about 3 weeks. I took antibiotic medication to curb my sore throat and sinuses. (I had leftover medication at home and did not want to visit my family doc.). I got what seemed like fungal infection on my genitals.

I had anonymous HIV Antibody and DNA test done through Labcorp on day 30. Following were the results: HIV-1 Antibody, Confirmation Western Blot Value: <1.00 Range: <1.00 Result: Negative

HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual Value: Non Reactive Range: Non Reactive Result:Negative

HIV-1 DNA by PCR With HIV Antibodies by ICMA Value:Negative range: - Result: Negative

I was puzzled by the results. Why perform a Western blot if ICMA test was negative? If the ICMA test was preliminary positive, then why does the Value in the test indicate "Non Reactive"? Will the lab report non-reactive, even if the result was actually positive as long as Western blot turns out Negative?

At the end of week 7 post exposure, I conducted another anonymous Antibody test. This time the results were as below (they didn't exactly call the second test Western blot).

HIV-1 Antibody Test with Reflex to Western Blot Confirmation Value: <1.00 Range: <1.00 Result: Negative

HIV 1/O/2 Abs, Qual Value: Non Reactive range: Non Reactive Result: Negative

Again, they seemed to conduct two tests instead of just one.

Although the DNA test seems to rule out HIV-1, I am still worried about the possibility of HIV 2.

Response from Dr. Frascino

This forum is dedicated to HIV-positive folks, particularly those who have concerns related to fatigue and/or anemia. Questions related to HIV transmission, prevention, safer sex, HIV testing and risk should be sent to Dr. Bob at his "Safe Sex and HIV Prevention" expert forum. Please resubmit your question there using the same title and add the phrase, "resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." Thank you.

Previous
hiv aids carrier
Next
Knowledge seeking this time. Much appreciated.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.