Psoriasis and HIV

Hi Dr Bob. I was tested positive for HIV on 12/16/2010 and have been developing an episode of psoriasis (which I first had 4 years ago as my first episode). My CD4 count is 398 and my viral load around 1500. My doctor also my resistance to some drugs and we started Atripla 4 days ago. My feet and hands look really bad and my whole body shows little red psoriatic spots. I have been using the same creams and ointments I was prescribed when my first episode happened, however I have no gotten better. Of course, when I had psoriasis for the first time it was summer and I was not HIV+. Do you think Atripla will help me to get better when my viral load gets lower? Should I also look for the help of a dermatologist? Is there a dermatologist specifically trained to treat HIV+ patients or any one will do? Please help me. JCC

Hi JCC,

HIV disease can exacerbate many dermatologic conditions. I suggest you seek the help of an HIV-knowledgable dermatologist. Your HIV specialist should be able to recommend someone for you to see in your area.

asking again
unprotected sex 7 years ago please help?????will donate