Nightmares with Atripla

I am an unmedicated person living with HIV. My doctor has discussed starting me on Atripla. I have been told that vivid dreams are often a part of this medication; I already have quite bad dreams and am worried about compounding my problem. Would it be beneficial to take this medication in the AM?

Atripla can cause a variety of central nervous system side effects, including vivid dreams and making you feel spacey. Often these problems subside considerably within four to six weeks. Sometimes the symptoms don't subside or are so severe that a change in antiretrovirals is necessary. Some folks experience absolutely no problems with Atripla. Atripla is a once-per-day medication. Most folks take it at night because they feel it is better tolerated if they sleep through the first six to eight hours of each dose. However, if Atripla doesn't cause any problems, it can be taken in the morning or at any other time of day.

I took Atripla briefly and quite enjoyed the vivid dreams! But that's another story. There are also many good alternative regimens now available if Atripla is not right for you. Continue to discuss your concerns with your HIV doctor and check out the more detailed information about Atripla in the archives of this forum and elsewhere on this site.

Death (HIV/AIDS A CHRONIC, NOT ALWAYS SO MANAGEABLE, CONDITION, 2010) ( HIV AND ACCELERATED AGING, 2010)
change of medication