HIV + and Prostate Cancer

Dr. Bob, Have you had any experience with how HIV positive men do with Prostate removal. I have CA in 30 % of my prostate, a gleason scale of 3+. My CD4 runs around 550 and unfortunately my viral load hovers around 1,500. It will not go to 0 and I am on Truvada/Norvir/Reyataz and Isentress. No including my HIV MD seems to know whether being HIV positive will effect how I recover from the surgury which is next week. I am hoping for the best but am concerned. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Your recovery from surgery and risk of complications is no different than someone who is HIV negative.

Regarding your persistently detectable HIV plasma viral load, I assume you've had a resistance test (genotype/phenotype) to check for drug resistance. If not, you should have this done.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Viagara
Is it ok to take ED meds while on HIV meds? (USE OF ED DRUGS WHILE ON ANTIRETROVIRALS, 2010)