Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Fatigue and AnemiaFatigue and Anemia

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV + and Prostate Cancer
Dec 1, 2010

Dr. Bob, Have you had any experience with how HIV positive men do with Prostate removal. I have CA in 30 % of my prostate, a gleason scale of 3+. My CD4 runs around 550 and unfortunately my viral load hovers around 1,500. It will not go to 0 and I am on Truvada/Norvir/Reyataz and Isentress. No including my HIV MD seems to know whether being HIV positive will effect how I recover from the surgury which is next week. I am hoping for the best but am concerned. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your recovery from surgery and risk of complications is no different than someone who is HIV negative.

Regarding your persistently detectable HIV plasma viral load, I assume you've had a resistance test (genotype/phenotype) to check for drug resistance. If not, you should have this done.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Viagara
Next
Is it ok to take ED meds while on HIV meds? (USE OF ED DRUGS WHILE ON ANTIRETROVIRALS, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.