Anemia and Marajuana Use

Hi Dr. Bob..Just discovered this great site...I am a long time survivor..26 years asymptomatic.. undetectable.. t-cells in the high 600's...After a year of fatigue I was just diagnosed with Sever Hemolytic Anemia..my red blood count is down to 6..I have been smoking weed for over thirty years, Daily, with no energy problems till now...Is Marajuana Harmful to smoke now?..I also take combiver and I read your response to a question on combiver..I will talk to my Dr. about changing drugs..I have been taking Combiver,Lexiva and Norvir for about 15 years with no side affects till now...I Love my weed but will Stop if necessary...Thank you So much for your advice and your time...Richard..L.A. Ca.

Hello Stoner Richard,

It took them a year to diagnose your hemolytic anemia??? WOWZA! Far too many HIV providers don't take the complaint of fatigue seriously enough to properly evaluate the underlying cause. It seems your doctor may fall into this category. There are a number of potential underlying causes for hemolytic anemia; sparking doobies is not one of them. Your use of maryjane is not the cause of your anemia. I agree you should be switched off AZT-containing medications, such as Combivir. There are now many good alternatives from which to choose, depending on your resistance profile.

Be well.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANKS A MILLION!
pml. got treatment after going blind