THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANKS A MILLION!

HONESTLY IT IS VERY NICE OF YOU TO TAKE YOUR TIME TO CALM PEOPLES FEARS AND GIVE SUCH EXPENSIVE INFORMATION THAT MOST WOULD CHARGE AN ARM AND A LEG FOR I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU, I READ AN ANSWER BACK TO A QUESTION SUBMITED AND BASICALLY IN THE END THERE WAS NO PROBLEM TO DRINKING AN ALL NATURAL TEA WITH THE EXISTING MEDS THE PERSON WAS ON, NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS, I WAS TAKING ESSIAC TEA FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND I JUST STARTED MY MEDS YESTERDAY, MY WIFE SAYS TO STAY ON THE TEA AS WELL, PROBLEM I AM ASKING MY SELF IS THAT I READ WHERE ONE OR TWO OF THE INGRIDEANTS IN ESSIAC TEA, ARE USED IN SOME DRUGS GIVEN TO AIDS-HIV PATIENTS IN CHNA, SO MY WORRY IS RESISTANCE TO THE DRUG, ESSIAC TEA HAS ANY WHERE FROM 4 TO 8 INGRIDIENTS, I DRANK IT AND HONESTLY DIDNT FEEL MUCH DIFFRENT THOUGH BECAUSE OF TIME AND RECENT ANALISES I DECIDED TO START MY MEDS, SO CAN I KEEP DRINKING THE TEA?¿? thank you so much,

Here's the scoop on Essiac tea. It's an herbal remedy that was prescribed and promoted by a Canadian nurse named Rene Caisse. (Notice the backward spelling of her name?) Shortly before she died in 1978 she gave the formula and manufacturing rights to a Canadian company, Resperin Corporation. Several reports claim that the formula contains burdock root, Indian rhubarb, sorrel and slippery elm; however, there are reports of additional ingredients as well. It was originally recommended as a cancer treatment; however, several animal studies have failed to show any anti-tumor activity. The Canadian federal health department reviewed 86 patients who were prescribed Essiac tea for cancer. Again, no anti-tumor activity was found. At this time there are no scientific studies supporting any of Essiac's claimed health benefits. In particular there is no evidence that it "strengthens the immune system," relieves pain or shrinks tumors.

As for drug-drug or drug-herb interactions, we really don't know, because these interactions have never been studied. There are no reports of research studies using Essiac in HIVers.

My advice would be to discontinue using Essiac, as it has not shown any health benefits whatsoever and the potential for drug-herb interactions has not been studied. What it boils down to is Essiac has no documented upside (benefits) despite being around for many years, and there is at least a potential downside regarding unknown drug-herb interactions.

My advice is to switch to a tasty jasmine tea or energy-inducing espresso and leave the burdock root, Indian rhubarb, sorrel and slippery elm in the forrest until proven it does something other than make a bad tasting tea.

Unknown Reason For Chronic Fatgue
Anemia and Marajuana Use